Summer Salsa Recipe

Whew! I've been super busy lately with an insane amount of yardwork (and training people at work, where I usually do these things), so things have been a little slow on the medical-research front. However, since my jalapeno plant is currently producing an insane number of jalapenos, I did take a break to make some absolutely delightful salsa, which I will share the recipe for!

Ingredients:
~4 small-medium, fully ripe tomatoes, sliced (large slices fine)
3 jalapeno peppers, with seeds, cut in large chunks*.
1/2 medium sweet onion**, diced (large chunks fine)
Cilantro - I used about 2/3 of a bunch from the grocery store, but use to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste - I added about 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper but do to your own taste!!

*I left the seeds in to create medium-spice salsa. You can remove the seeds for a more mild version, or use a hotter pepper - like an habanero - for a hot version.

**you can use Vidalia onions instead, but don't use red, yellow, or cooking onions.

Instructions:
1) Toss the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno and cilantro into a food processor and process LIGHTLY. I don't have a real food processor - it's just a manual crank-operated blade - so this is no problem for me, but if you have something high-powered be careful; you want the tomatoes and onions to remain slightly chunky.
2) Salt and pepper to taste and mix thoroughly.
3) Add additional cilantro if needed (cilantro will lessen the spicy-ness), or additional hot pepper if desired

Yield: I got a little less than three of the small jars pictured above. You can make more or less though, by simply increasing/decreasing the ingredients.

I got my tomatoes and onion from a farm market and I swear that made it taste better than store-bought veggies, but

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mulberry Jam

New Direction - with More Posts!

Seasons