Recipe - Italian Dressing w/ Olive Oil

With all my talk about leaving out vegetable oils (canola, soybean, corn, etc), I thought I’d share an olive oil Italian dressing that is easy, inexpensive, and very convenient. Store-bought dressing usually use vegetable oil, and many home-made recipes get complex and/or use vegetable oil anyway, so I’m sharing mine!

It uses the flavor of olive oil to make a great dressing, and – bonus – there’s absolutely no sugar. I will usually make enough to last 2-3 weeks at a time; you can scale the recipe to make as much or as little as you want.

Basic Italian Dressing w/ Olive Oil
½ c. olive oil
½ c. white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp oregano
Salt & Pepper to taste (I usually use quite a bit of pepper)

[I usually just make the base dressing listed above, but sometimes I mix it up by adding one or more of the following]

Optional: Scallions (minced)*
Optional: 1 clove garlic, crushed
Optional: ¼ c. Parmesan cheese

Whisk all of the ingredients together and serve. Always shake or whisk before using (oil and vinegar will separate quickly).

You can store this dressing at room temperature indefinitely, in any sort of covered container (mason jar with lid is the easiest). I’ve never had it more than a month, however, so I can’t vouch for it after that point!


*If you use scallions, you must refrigerate, and the olive harden will harden from the low temperature, but if you just take it out a 10 minutes before you need it, it will turn to liquid again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mulberry Jam

New Direction - with More Posts!

Seasons